Perhaps this is your first time visiting the Emerald Coast, and you’re unsure of what to pack. Perhaps you’re a seasoned visitor the area but you always seem to forget that one important thing– what was that thing again? These tips will help you feel at ease while you’re on your way to paradise.
The beauty of being on a beach vacation is that clothing items required are fairly standard no matter where you go!
- Bring at least two swimsuits per person so you can alternate days of hanging them to dry; there’s nothing worse than putting on a cold, damp bathing suit in the morning.
- Flip flops are likely the only shoes you’ll need there. Unless you plan on going to a very formal dinner, make life easy and stick with the one pair of sandals!
- Something to wear down to the beach over your suit. This will especially come in handy if you wind up with an unfortunate sunburn and need to cover up without being forced indoors.
- Workout attire for your morning jog or yoga. Even if you’re not a regular fitness nut, being at the beach tends to inspire people to be more active! Tip: don’t worry about packing tennis shoes if you don’t want to; it’s actually better for your body to run barefoot on the sand!
- Accessories are essential. Make sure have a hat and pair of sunglasses for every member of the family.
Your vacation home or condo rental will likely be well-equipped with everything you’ll need, but just in case:
- While you’ll likely need beach towels in addition to your bath towels, while some rentals provide them, most do not, so bring your favorite beach towels just in case.
- Stock up on groceries on your way to your rental. We find that once guests arrive, they typically don’t want to leave. That’s the beauty of a rental- you don’t have to! So, do yourself a favor, hit the grocery store ahead of time, and don’t forget plenty of water!
- SPF. While we know you want to get your tan on, please protect yourself from those damaging UV rays at the very least. This requires a minimum of SPF 30 for your body and 50 for your face. There’s nothing worse than getting a bad burn on the first day of your vacation and winding up stuck indoors.
It’s nearly impossible to remember everything regardless of how organized you are or how far in advance you pack. Included in this section are a few of the items that, in our experience, people definitely seem to overlook and really wish they hadn’t.
- If you do refuse our sound advice and forgo the sunblock, you’ll want to make sure you’re fully stocked with aloe vera or aftersun lotion. Ouch!
- Pack a large freezer bag for every member of your family. This will allow you to take a swim before you leave without worrying about your entire suitcase smelling like mildew.
- Citronella candle. If you’ve never experienced Florida in the summertime, trust us on this one. Typically, the closer to the beach you are, the safer you are from those pesky mosquitoes because of the great breeze.
- Don’t forget a hairbrush! Enough time spent in the ocean or sitting on the beach gives you those salty waves that aren’t always easy to untangle.
Now that you’re all set with the basics, don’t forget to check with us for all the fun items that won’t fit in your suitcase!